Eclipse Scientific has developed a new technique for determining the quality of polyethylene (PE 100) butt fusion joints using ultrasonic phased array. Click here for more details.
Using a combination of the latest available ultrasonic phased array technologies, Eclipse Scientific has developed a new technique for determining the quality of polyethylene (PE 100) butt fusion joints. Defects such as cold joint, non-fusion, contamination and geometric irregularities which may be visually undetected are easily located and sized with a single pass ultrasonic scan.
- The scan data is digitally archived and can be presented in several formats to demonstrate the integrity of the joint, and of the inspection process
- Similar to presenting the client with the radiographic images, the ultrasonic images may also be integrated into the report
- The client will have evidence of inspection compliance, or evidence to call for a repair
- A combination of ultrasonic phased array scanning techniques (sectorial, linear, TOFD, static) with focusing applied at the joint face can be accomplished with a single pass scan
- This combination of AUT scans increases the POD (probability of detection) of discontinuities and cost effectiveness of the inspection
- The resultant inspection data disposition will give the client and the participating regulatory bodies an increased confidence in the quality of the project
- An alternative to destructive testing as stated in directive 022 EUB Alberta Energy Utilities Board: http://www.ercb.ca/docs/documents/directives/directive022.pdf
The following excerpt is from Alberta Energy and Utilities Board Directive 022 ERCB: Use of Bimodal High-Density Polyethylene Pipe in Oil and Gas Service August 5, 2005
An alternative to destructive testing would be to conduct ultrasonic testing of all joints using ultrasonic techniques and suitable acceptance criteria developed specially for examination of polyethylene fusion joints, in which case no destructive tests would be required. Any failures by destructive test or nondestructive examination must cause a reconciliation of fusion data to be conducted in order to determine whether any other joints may be affected and whether additional testing or repair may be necessary.
Eclipse Scientific Products